Program Management

Online Learning Key to Thriving with Engineering Programs

08/25/15   |  
Scott Lomas and Cindy Wheatley
On average, the top 20% of institutions that grant graduate engineering degrees confer 60% of total degrees. In the case of Systems Engineering, over 80% of degrees are conferred by the top 20%! Those institutions that want significant enrollment growth need to be in the top 20% of degree producers in their specialization.
 

PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL DEGREES CONFERRED BY TOP 20% IN 2013

 
Percentage of total degrees conferred by top 20% in 2013
Source: National Center for Education Statistics, Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System
 
Even more interesting is the prominence of online learning among the top 20%. Twenty percent of all master’s engineering programs are delivered online; among the top 20% of degree-granting institutions, 42% of programs are offered online. In the case of Mechanical Engineering, while 11% of total programs are offered online, 50% of the top 20% of programs are delivered online.

 

PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL PROGRAMS OFFERED ONLINE COMPARED WITH PERCENTAGE OF TOP 20% ONLINE

 
Percentage of total programs offered online compared to percentage of top 20% online
Source: National Center for Education Statistics, Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System
 
Clearly, online learning is a key strategy for success among the leading graduate engineering programs.
 
Graudate Engineering Program Webinar Series